By the end of 2015 the basic functionality of the production system will be in place. The project will be continued to be funded by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation in 2016 for a third phase targeted at refining the platform and increasing the size of its user community (OER World Map, 2015). Nevertheless many questions remain to be answered and the platform still has to prove its acceptance by a wider OER audience.
In fact it can be stated that the success of the project depends heavily on the participation of the OER community, which
- needs to define its needs in order to guide the development of the OER World Map
- needs to participate in the project, e.g. by data input and editing
- can benefit from the project in many regards (e.g. finding contents, finding related projects, better statistics supporting OER policymaking)
- will, by using the platform, become in the long run the owner the platform.
The workshop will focus on getting into touch with the conference participants, to inform about ongoing developments, ask for feedback and advice, discuss strategic question, give practical advice on how to use the world map and provide the possibility to directly input data with the help of our team members.
We would like to discuss many theoretical and practical questions with you:
– Which missing functionality do you expect from the OER World Map?
– How can the usability of the UI be improved?
– How can I participate in the OER World Map project?
– How can I contribute stories for the project?
– How can data quality assured to provide most value to the community?
– Which are the most important next strategic goals?
– How can I reuse data included in the OER World Map?
The workshop targets at all persons interested in learning more about, giving feedback for or participating in the OER World Map project, especially on members of the country champion network, librarians and other OER professionals.
D’Antoni, S. (2012). A world map of Open Educational Resources initiatives: Can the global OER community design and build it together? Summary report of an international conversation: 12–30 November 2012. https://oerknowledgecloud.org/?q=content/world-map-open-educational-resources-initiatives-can-global-oer-community-design-and-build-i
Farrow, R. (2014). OER Impact: Collaboration, Evidence, Synthesis. In Proceedings of OpenCourseWare Consortium Global 2014: Open Education for a Multicultural World. http://conference.oeconsortium.org/2014/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Paper_51-OER-Impact.pdf
OER World Map (2015). Launching the Development of an OER World Map: Phase III. https://oerworldmap.wordpress.com/project-proposals/proposal-for-phase-iii-2016/